Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Day 340 - It's a Heat Wave, and I'm Not Participating

We're having a heat wave and I am not participating. There is no way I am going to go out in this oppressive heat that has been hanging around here for the past few days and is expected to continue for at least a few more. I have severely limited my outside time and when I do go out it is to go from one air conditioned place to another. I cannot tolerate temperature extremes and I find myself getting all groggy and sleepy when I have been out too long on a sweltering summer day. I was busy yesterday but I was fortunate to do all I had to do in the comfort of a well cooled room and I got to take a dip in a swimming pool. I know how blessed I am to be able to control the amount of time I am exposed to the heat.
 
Up until just ten years ago, I had never lived with air conditioning, and except for the most extreme days of summer, I liked it that way. I like the way the house smells so fresh in the summer and I like that I can feel the change of seasons, Mostly my house was cooled with strategically placed fans and only the bedrooms had air conditioning, Even an air conditioned bedroom wasn't part of my summer until after I had kids and developed summer allergies. In order to get any sleep at all, I had to have a pollen-free room and air conditioning did the trick. I still like to sleep with the windows open at night, even if the night is warm. My allergies aren't an issue anymore, but central air is the new normal. On these really hot days I appreciate the modern conveniences that allow me to stay cool, comfortable and at least a little bit energized.
 
Tomorrow I have to head into NYC for a doctor appointment. I tried to change it, but the doc's other available dates don't work for me, so it's off to the city I go. It is supposed to be near one hundred degrees tomorrow so I am not looking forward to spending time in NYC traffic and being surrounded by tall concrete buildings that hold the heat. But, I will plan accordingly and make sure I carry water with me and if I feel like I am overheated I will head for an air conditioned space. I don't like to complain too much about the warm weather because it is so much easier on me than the really cold winter stuff. The warm seasons seem to be too short and pass much too quickly. It feels easier for me to cool off in the heat, than it does for me to warm up in the winter. So, I will take these days as they come, make the best of my situation and enjoy every single minute of summer, knowing that those chilly days and nights aren't so far off.  

No comments:

Post a Comment