Sunday, July 24, 2011

Day 344 - A Little Bit of the Party is Just Enough

My daughter called this morning and she was happy and in a great mood. As we were taking about how we were spending our weekends I could tell that she was having a good time. At the end of our conversation she said she loved her house and her program (she lives in a group home). It made my heart feel good to know that things are going so well for her. This was a wonderful family weekend. I love being around young people. I am inspired by the way they see the world and I love their energy. When I am around young people I can't help but catch their energy and enthusiasm. Little ones giggling crack me up and I love to watch the young adults that we love and care for, finding their way. It is awesomely wonderful to be a part of all the things that are going on, and even though it's a bit chaotic at times, that's just part of the joy.
 
I am committed to my family and I love to be a part of whatever is going on. An afternoon visit, babysitting, a quiet dinner or a big celebration are equally important to me. I feel enormously disappointed when I can't participate in what's going on. There have been many times when I have had to bow out of a celebration or my hubby has gone ahead with plans without me. Those times are difficult, but I have learned to take care of myself so that when I do participate I can be fully involved. Yesterday I missed out on most of a family celebration, but I was able to show up for at least the last couple of hours. My hubby's nephew and his girlfriend were celebrating their birthdays and the whole family was getting together. I stayed back and rested and finally got over to my sister-in-laws in the evening. It was worth going over, and I had a great time once I got there. Family has been very understanding and supportive and that means a lot.
 
A little bit of fun is better than none at all. I feel badly that my hubby has to go ahead to family gatherings and events without me, but I think we have things pretty well figured out. He is very easy going and that helps a lot. My kids are great about letting me set my own pace and I work really hard to be there for them when they really need me. When my kids were young and I was working I used to tell them that even though I might not be there every moment that they wanted me, I would always be there whenever they needed me and I have held myself to that pledge. It's one thing not to have the energy to do some work around the house or to be able to commit at work 100%, but I have always been fiercely devoted to my family and I will do whatever I can do to be on their side. This weekend I missed a party, but I was there to wish the celebrants a happy birthday. Once again, I couldn't do it all, but I could do some and it seemed to work out just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment