Friday, July 22, 2011

Day 342 - To Treat or Not to Treat - That is the Question

I spent the day researching the HHV6 virus and its connection with chronic fatigue syndrome. I am feeling very confused about this next phase of treatment and part of that confusion is the ambiguity of the research around the success of treating this virus and its impact on the wellness of those who are treated. I have been making a list of questions for my Lady Doc because I need to talk through these areas of concern and confusion. After reading dozens of articles, I have definitely decided that I will not take the anti-viral drug that is most often recommended to treat HHV6. It is a toxic drug with many potential and sometimes dangerous side effects. I am just not comfortable taking that kind of risk when the outcome of a six month regimen is not guaranteed.

There are many alternate treatments for treating a viral infection that I would feel comfortable pursuing. Granted, they are not identified as being the most effective, but in the scheme of things, I think I feel better going that route. I haven't talked with my Lady Doc about the treatment she would choose, I just know that she told me the treatment would make me feel worse before I felt better. The only research pieces I saw that reported any kind of success were with the more toxic anti-viral drugs. I am at the point in my treatment wrere we have addressed all of the issues that showed up in my blood work as well as addressed all of the complaints I have brought to my doctor. I am taking a supplement or a med for each symptom and I have made improvements. But this virus has me stumped. I don't know the implications of not addressing my infection and that's a question for my doc.

This past year it has felt like taking care of my health has been a part-time job. I have invested time, money, energy and effort in my determination to turn things around. I have been more than satisfied with my medical care. I feel like I feel like a am a partner with my physician and I don't think we have left a single stone unturned. But the truth of the matter is that fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue are still mysterious conditions and there is much to learn about how we contract these illnesses and how we can treat individuals so they can get their lives back. Each person expresses their symptoms differently, but we all struggle with, and share familiar symptoms. Fatigue has always been the one thing I have not been able to overcome and the thought that treating the HHV6 virus might give me back my energy is very tempting. But I have to listen to that still small voice inside me that says that the risks may outweigh the benefits. I will hold the question and wait to talk with my lady doc and hear more about her plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment