Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 331 - Some Days Just Have to be Busy

I worked hard today, really hard. When I have my daughter home with me I don't get a moment's rest and while she is here there are lots of things I have to take care of for her before she goes back to her group home. I have been putting off shopping for her summer clothes and since it is the second week in July, back-to-school supplies are starting to hit the shelves as well as fall clothing. So if it wasn't this visit, it wasn't going to happen. We went to a department store that would have everything we needed so I wouldn't have to go from store to store or go anywhere near a mall. I never did get a handicapped sticker for my car, but after today, I will definitely get one. It was over ninety degrees and even though we got to the store late morning, there were lots of shoppers who filled the spaces close to the entry, so we walked. My daughter walks slowly and on a hot day, all I wanted to do was get into the air conditioning again!

Once we got in the store, We had some shopping to do but I was the one who had to do the work. I checked out each item we purchased with my daughter and every once in a while there would be something she spied on a rack that she liked and it would go into the cart. She needed sandals and trying them on her is tedious because her feet are very tiny and she has bunions. But, we found a couple pair and now that's done, too. Shopping with my daughter is like shopping with a little kid, even though she's over thirty years old. I have to keep an eye on her every minute or she will wander off. If I was looking through a rack for the correct size, that would be enough time for her to scoot off. She has severe hearing loss, so if I call out to her, she doesn't hear me so I have to go searching until I would find her a row or two away. To say that it's exhausting is an understatement. But I have responsibilities and I intend to fulfill them.

I used to order many of my daughter's clothes from a catalog, but I am terrible at returning things that don't fit, so it's just not an option anymore. We got everything she needed with one stop. After that we got some lunch and then headed home and went for a swim. Our day was absolutely wonderful and lots of fun, but I was on duty every minute. I could feel my energy just draining out of me, but sitting for lunch was a boost and once we went for a swim, my daughter was tired, too. So we went back to the house and sat on the patio and had a snack. It gave both of us a chance to regain some energy and we had a lovely visit. My son-in-law stopped by with my grandson and we all had a great time. The visit was short, but it was wonderful for my daughter to spend some extra time with her nephew. When my hubby got home from work I heated up left-overs and then I begged him to take my daughter out for a while, so I could collapse on the couch. He did and I got to rest enough to build up my energy to get her ready for bed. We watched a little TV together and cuddled until she fell asleep. I am ready for bed, too and I plan on catching up on my rest once I get her back to her program tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment