Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Day 332 - Three Good Days - Do I Hear Four?

Three good days in a row. I like it. Every now and then I get a nice stretch like this and I actually feel like a regular person. It's easy to forget that I am managing a health issue when I am pain-free and I'm not feeling exhausted and fogged out. I know it is easy to overdo it if I am having a string of good days, but I find myself looking for things to do because I have energy and I can get all caught up with things I have had to put aside on bad days. But, the one major lesson I have learned is to STOP. Even though I feel like I had a bit of energy to spare today, after I got home from bringing my daughter back to her home, I made an iced drink and sat down to read a magazine and relax. When my hubby got home from work he offered to cook dinner and I didn't protest, jump up and do it myself. I am learning.
 
Another lesson is that I don't have a single thing planned for the next two days. I will use the time to rest and store up some energy to replace what I have used with my daughter here with me. There isn't anything that can't wait to be done, except for maybe getting this months' bills paid - but that can be done online with minimal effort. I have learned to look past things that need to be done so that I don't continue to push beyond my limit. When we go away for a weekend, it takes me days to get unpacked and get the laundry done and put away again. If my suitcase has to sit for a while until I get to it. So be it. I have learned that I have to set priorities and then stick to them. A week or so ago, both my daughter and son-in-law gave me mending projects. I finally finished up yesterday while I was sitting on the patio. I waited until my head felt clear so I won't make mistakes (again).
 
One of my wellness goals is to increase the number of good days I experience and especially to have a stretch of good days that lasts more than just a few days in a row. That would allow me to 'create some kind of predictable rhythm in my life. When my good days are unpredictable it is easy for me to lose track of what I've been doing and then I have to jump back in the middle of where I was, and figure things out all over again. There are times that I begin a task and stop mid-way through because I have run out of energy or my concentration isn't good enough to finish. I also find myself making silly mistakes, on even simple tasks, that I wouldn't make if I was feeling better. More good days would mean I am more accessible to family and friends. It would mean that and I could pursue my many interests and enjoy more social activities. I am thrilled with the good days I've been having, but I know that tomorrow could go either way - it could be another day of feeling well, a crash, or somewhere in-between - that's just the nature of fibro life. Tomorrow is another day. I will take good care by pacing myself and hope that my three good days becomes four!

No comments:

Post a Comment