Sunday, July 17, 2011

Day 337 - Summertime, But the Livin' Ain't Easy

Summer is half through and I am just loving it. I love the sunshine, the flowers and trees, the yummy fruits and veggies that are in season and I especially love the easy lifestyle summer brings. Even though my body doesn't like extreme heat, I can easily find relief on hot days in an air conditioned space. Even when it's hot during the day, summer evenings always feel soft and gentle. There is nothing better than falling asleep on a summer night with the windows open, a fan stirring a gentle breeze and the sweet smell of summer filling the room. I sleep best on a summer night and I really like waking up to the morning sun coming in the window. A bad fibro day is easier to tolerate in the summer. The summer puts me in a really good frame of mind. It's hard to feel down or discouraged when the sun is shining and I can sip an iced tea out on the porch and just relax.

As much as I love summer, it didn't make today any easier. I woke up at my regular time with that half a headache feeling that means it is going to be a rough day. I made some breakfast and then had to lie down for a bit to get myself together. The back porch was a perfect place to gather some energy. I had some chores to do around the house as well as a couple loads of laundry. My hubby helped and then he ran to the grocery while I finished up. Between each task, I had to sit down. Made the bed, sat a bit, folded a load of clothes, back to the couch, freshened the guest room for my brother-in-law's visit, down again. That's how the day went and some rest breaks were longer than others. I probably should have just given up and left everything for another day, but I do that far too often. I got done what I wanted to accomplish, but I sure wish it had been an easier day.

By late afternoon I started to feel better and was able to go out for a while with the kids and then had dinner with my bro-in-law and hubby, I sure wish the ups and downs of my day would smooth out a bit. I continue to work on striking the balance between taking care of myself and taking care of the details of my life, I like to take care of my home and I get a lot of satisfaction out of creating a warm and comfortable place for my family and friends to visit. But I also know that I have to keep my expectations realistic. Summer is a time for kicking back and taking it easy, but that doesn't mean things don't need to get done. I wish the summer was a magic elixir that made me well. but it isn't. But, on good days and bad, I can still appreciate and enjoy all the wonderful things about the summer and take advantage of every good thing it offers.

No comments:

Post a Comment