Friday, July 15, 2011

Day 335 - I Can Give a Little, But Not a Lot

The doorbell rang late this afternoon and two very nice ladies from my neighborhood had stopped by to tell me all about the first-ever block party happening next month. We started chatting about some community issues and some of the projects that need to be done, when and if local funds are released. Money is tight and our town has suffered its share of budget cuts so anything that can be postponed is going to be, Our conversation turned to a suggestion I made to our homeowners association when I appeared before them to have my back porch project approved. One of the ladies that came to the door remembered my suggestion and after chatting for a while, asked me to head up a committee to make that change happen. She wanted me to create a four person committee, write up a proposal, send out notification to community members and then bring the proposal and the community feedback to the homeowners board of directors. I was flattered, but that little voice in my head spoke clearly to me about setting priorities.

I like the idea of taking on a challenge and doing a little something as part of my community. I like having a project and I loved that my idea was honored, but just as in other situations, I had to say no. I don't want to volunteer to be in charge of anything, even a small committee to change the lighting in our neighborhood, even though I felt complimented to have my idea honored. My philosophy these days is that I may not be able to do everything, but I can do something. So, with that in mind I decided to figure out a way that I could contribute without taking on too much. I sat down at my computer once they left and I did an internet search to suggest some ideas and that will be my contribution. Now, the block party is another story. I look forward to the opportunity to meet my neighbors and to have a relaxing afternoon chatting and eating good food. Also. it's a one time thing that I can attend or not, all of it or part of it, according to how I am feeling that day. I will bring my dish of whatever to contribute to the meal and have myself a good ole time.

Everyone's life involves setting priorities and my life is no different in that regard. I spend my energy carefully, and I know that if I spend my time on one thing, it will take time and energy away from another. It's kind of like a young kid on an allowance. Kids have much less money than the adults around them, just the way my energy compares with my peers. Once the allowance money is gone, it's gone. Just like my energy reserve is finite and I can't use more than I have, kids can't apply for credit and increase their funds on a whim. So after a splurge or two, kids hopefully learn to make spending decisions so that they get to spend their precious dollars exactly the way they want to. That's what I am doing by making the choice to say no to something that will deplete me. I want to use up my allotted amount of energy on high priorities and then feel satisfied that I've made good choices. I can give a little rather than a lot and then we're all happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment