Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Day 97 - Pardon Me While I Check My List...Again.

I've always had some difficulty with the details in life and it is probably one of those hard-wired things in my brain that allow me to do some things with complete ease but deal with the little things like I'm still a beginner. It doesn't matter how many baskets, shelves, folders, pretty pads, or stick-ems on the mirror I use to get organized. My brain just doesn't do organization very well. I can organize my thoughts, but not my purse. I can make a kitchen cabinet look pretty, but forget what's in it. I can write my blog, but forget to mail a check. The world isn't always forgiving of those kinds of failures. We seem to hold organization in very high regard and think that people are "good" when things are tidy and neat and not so good if they aren't. I still cringe when someone stops by and my house isn't looking as tidied up as I think it should. This is a stress I need to get off my plate. I don't want to be judged negatively, but I can only do what I can do. My friends and loved ones are not the problem here, it is my own self judgement that is getting in my way.

My daughter thinks it would help if I had someone to "organize" my life, run errands and keep track of the details that seem to get away from me. Not a bad idea, but I don't really think that's what I need. I would much rather a person that could magically appear every time I get confused, disorganized, forgetful, overwhelmed or just too tired to complete what needs to be done. Now there's a thought. I have never considered magic as a solution to my travails. I may be onto something there. Remember Bewitched? Samantha just wiggled her nose and she could materialize whatever she needed to get herself out of her current fix. A journey into the land of make believe seems like a very logical solution! Whenever I need help - viola - help is on the way. It would sure some in handy managing my meds.

I thought I had my med routine all figured out, but every time there is a change, I get all confused and it takes me a few days to get it right again. I have trouble reading the labels and knowing what is what. Heaven help me when the drug store gives me a generic that doesn't match the name of what I'm supposed to be taking! I'm still discovering little mistakes I've made with my schedule and sometimes it makes me smile to think I could be so silly. And it's not just the meds, I get surprised when I find things I once put away and couldn't remember for weeks where I put them. I carry letters to be mailed back and forth in my handbag, forgetting day after day to mail them. I look at my list and still don't get to the things that are there because I get distracted and never go back to them. It's an ongoing battle to keep the details of my life in order and there are periods of time where I am just terrible at it. I'm working on this. I put it on my to do list, and when I get there I'm sure I'll notice! 

No comments:

Post a Comment