Sunday, November 28, 2010

Day 108 - In Good Hands - Celebrating Competence

Last night, after we got back from a long, but very pleasant day, we heard a strange noise in the bathroom wall. It was a combination of a snake hissing and water running, but we couldn't find anything. We just had a hot water heater replaced and we thought that maybe there was some connection, but when we turned off the heater, the sound continued. Silly us, we should have turned off all the water. We woke up to a bubble in the bathroom wall and when I put my hand on it, I could feel a combination of air and water pressing against the sheet-rock. Oops. We immediately called our favorite plumber and he came over to diagnose the problem and give us a plan to fix it.
 
It was wonderful to deal with a cheerful and competent person on a Sunday morning. I'm sure my house is the last place this fella wanted to be, but here he was poking and prodding and getting it all figured out, all the while chatting and being an overall nice person. He didn't tell us we were dumb to keep the water on (maybe he was thinking it) but he came here to fix things, not stir them up! It would be wonderful if everyone I had to deal with when it comes to resolving a problem could be as personable and competent. It made an unpleasant situation much easier to deal with and I felt like I got good service, which can be in short supply these days.
 
I need a good long list of experts in my life, and they are important to me. I need my doc, a computer whiz, a car repair person, someone to make my eye glasses, a handyman, a grocery deliverer, a massage therapist, a really good plumber, and more! I don't take their services lightly and I fell enormous appreciation for those who do things for me that I can't do for myself. Those kinds of services make my life easier and even though we're not best friends, it's nice to deal with someone who I feel comfortable with - that I respect and that respects me, as well. I hope that by the end of the day tomorrow I will be done with my plumbing saga, there is still a bit more to do, but I feel confident that I am in kind and confident hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment