Monday, November 22, 2010

Day 102 - It's About the Choices I Make, Not the Condition I'm In

Yesterday was a bad day, a really, really bad day. I dragged myself out of bed and felt like I was a drowned rat. No energy, migraine, felt like absolute crap and there I was up in the mountains wanting to be with my family and enjoy our last morning together. We had planned to leave fairly early and there is a lot to do to leave the cabin. The kids helped out before they left and that gave us a really good head start, but I know about all the details that go into leaving the cabin and I didn't want to leave them all for my hubby to do. I knew we wouldn't get out of there in time for his work commitment later in the day if I didn't lend a hand. So I got myself dressed and took on one tiny little job after the next. Hair and shower - nope. Make-up - are you kidding? It was all about the house. I did a little work, then sat a bit. Did a little more, and sat some more, all the while feeling like I wasn't pulling my load. There was so much to do and I really wasn't all that much help. But at least I felt like I was contributing.

We finally got into the car, a full hour later than we thought we would and started the four hour drive home. When my hubby started the engine, that was my signal to put my seat back and go to sleep. I slept the entire way home. We pulled into our driveway and I dragged myself into the house. My head felt like it was filled with cobwebs. I didn't write my blog until dinner time when I finally felt like I was coming back to life. My hubby was gone for the evening and I sat down to go through the stack of mail. An article in one of the magazines caught my eye. I read that Laura Hillenbrand has just published her second novel, Unbroken. It's a World War II story of "survival, resilience, and redemption". Hillenbrand's first novel, Seabiscuit was hugely successful and was made into a film.

This second novel comes ten years after her first. Seabiscuit was written while Hillenbrand was lying on the floor, papers strewn around her. She has Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I found that out not long after my fibro/chronic fatigue diagnosis and I must say I was, and am, quite impressed with this woman's grit and determination. She has found a way to feel, and be, productive and successful on her own terms and that is no small feat. Hillenbrand has become a beacon of hope for me and I'm sure for others. The words she uses to describe her WWII story actually describe her own struggle as well as the struggle each of us faces with any kind of affliction or adversity. We each have our own story of survival, resilience and redemption. I have an opportunity to live by choice rather than chance.

Laura is mostly housebound and has been ill since she was nineteen years old. She has chosen life over debilitation and has found a way to be in the world, even though she is physically separate from it. On my bad days I wonder how I can possibly keep going like this, but someone like Laura Hillenbrand reminds me that it's all about the choices I make, not the condition I'm in. I'm going to remember that and today I choose to take care of myself and still aim for getting something done. I can do that, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment