Monday, November 8, 2010

Day 88 - A Silver Lining in the Gray Clouds

It's a Monday morning and there is no sunshine today. It's cold and damp outside and last night was the first night of day-light savings time, so it was really dark by five. Winter is creeping in and there are places nearby that have already had some snow flurries. For me, this is not a formula for a happy, feeling healthy kind of day. BUT, it's also just a short time until the holiday season begins and I am VERY much into all the festivities. I love having family around and thinking about all the big and little ways I can please them. Our Thanksgiving Day is a wonderful time to think about our many blessings. I am conscious of the energy I expend during this time of year so I have already begun my holiday preparation. There are a couple of bags of gifts hiding in the garage and I we are already planning our family get-togethers.

There's another part of my plan that is important this year. I have to build in time for my Lady Doc visits and to do what I need to do to reserve energy and not push myself to the point of being depleted. There is always something that needs to get done, even during the slower times of the year. A few days out of commission with my fibro nonsense and I can see the impact all around the house. A pile of laundry here, a stack of unread mail there. Clothes that need to go to the cleaners and forms that need to be filled in and mailed back. I might have a suitcase sitting in the bedroom from my last weekend get-away that I haven't had the time or energy to unpack. The dog looks a little raggedy and needs a good brushing and the curtains for the living room need to be hemmed. I have errands to run for my mother and brother in the nursing home and I have to get to the drug store to pick up my meds. The list goes on and it's always there, waiting for my attention. I shudder when I think about what gets added to the list during this season!

I have to be wise. My intention this year is to do everything I can that gives me energy rather than taking it away. An afternoon at our local historical farm is wonderful and I want to spend an afternoon there. We have a gingerbread house display each year and I'm going to that, too. I love holiday music, so there has to be a performance we can attend. As for the practical stuff, no shopping on weekends or in malls but instead I'll frequent little shops that are filled with great fragrances and unusual things. I'll do online grocery shopping and have dinner menu ingredients delivered to my door. Anything that can be done online, I'm on it and if returns have to be made, instead of tucking the box away and then feeling guilty I haven't yet returned it, I'll send it right back. Promise. I want to find happiness in all the little things around me that mean so much and get a dose of happy that I'm sure will contribute to making me feel great - even in the damp and dreary winter.

2 comments:

  1. I am a great shopper so give me your list and card and I can do all of your shopping for the holidays for you. And, your laptop can order you up all kinds of things!

    I still vote for getting a personal assistant / executive assistant for work/life stuff for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your holidays are great...I'm finding that the internet is a great resource too...the mall crowds don't bother me its the parking lots and the rudeness..takes away from the holiday spirit...I think the little shops are the best. More effort is put into what they have on display and they usually have something unique that fits that hard to find person on your list...

    ReplyDelete