Friday, November 19, 2010

Day 99 - Hey Baby, It's Cold Outside

Now that the weather is a bit nippy, it’s time to think about getting through the winter.  No more ease of summer.   The mornings are chilly and if I’m going to run out to the store I have to grab my coat.  If I leave the window open to get some fresh air while I sleep, it has to be just a crack, or I wake up with a frozen nose and  buried deep under  the covers.  There’s no more running out for the mail in my bare feet or reaching for a long cool drink. Things have shifted and although I love the fall, winter isn’t far behind and it is not my favorite.
So how can I get through another long, cold, gray season? Well the first thing is to start thinking about the holidays and how much I love them. But aside from that, what is there to look forward to? Well, I love big fat socks and soft jammies. I love hot chocolate and a hot cup of tea. I love the way it feels to come in from the cold to a nice warm house. I love that I can have a fire in the fireplace and sit on the couch, under a blanket and read all afternoon. I like to eat comfort food and look forward to making something from scratch.  I really like the way everything seems to revolve around house and home when it’s cold and I am thankful for warm boots and thick gloves that keep my fingers and toes warm.
Every season has its joys and winter is the one where I really have to focus on the positives because otherwise I would just be miserable. When I get cold it seems to take forever to warm up and if I don’t have my gloves on, my fingers feel like they are on fire. It’s dark way too early and it seems there are more gray, than sunny days. When I keep my mind on the good things I have a different perspective on a sea son that seems a bit too harsh and unforgiving.  When I visit the mountains I am given a heavy dose of early winter. Part of it feels exhilarating, especially when the sun is shining and the air is still. But once the sun hides behind the clouds and the wind starts to whip around my face,  it’s time to go inside, hunker down and wait for spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment