Sunday, November 21, 2010

Day 101 - Legacies, Memories and Lost Moons

Today is special for me. First, it's the anniversary of my Dad's passing. A very sad day for me that lead to a lot of distress and unhappiness. I miss him still and I know he would love to still be around. He was a very social and dapper kind of guy. A man's man, some would say. It's also the night of a Blue Moon. That's when there are four full moons in a season, rather than the usual three. It's significant for me because I used the Native American phrase for a blue moon when I named my place in the mountains  Lost Moon Cabin. For a long time I have been intrigued by Native American tradition. I don't pretend to be any kind of an expert and I have only dabbled in finding out more about my interest, but there is a story that connects me, my Dad and that tradition that reminds me of how everything is connected.
 
When my father passed away he was in the middle of reading a book about the Iroquois nation. He told me he was reading it because of another book he had read and he wanted to learn more. I have that book. My Dad's will left something for my sister and me and for us to look after my brother, who has had a decades old battle with schizophrenia. I wanted to do something with his gift that would be a legacy to my family so I decided to purchase a plot of land up in the Adirondack mountains in New York. They are contained within a six million acre park which preserves the heritage of that land and its history. A realtor showed me one piece of land and I wasn't interested. The second plot was impressive and I purchased it on the spot. It's on Lake Abanakee, a small quiet lake nestled in the woods. Once I got home from making my purchase I wanted to know more about the Abanakee tribe who, generations ago, were settled in that region. I remembered my Dad's book and went right to it. Now here's the connection part - the Abanaki tribe is the very first entry in the index of the book my Dad left at his bedside. When I discovered that, I felt a warmth surround me and I knew I had made exactly the right decision.
 
I named the cabin Lost Moon because I wanted to show respect to the Native American history of the Adirondacks and I wanted something to reflect my love of nature, as well. So as I was reading about the Abanki's I came across their story of the Lost Moon (which we call the Blue Moon) and I knew that was the perfect name. (Not to mention the fact that we only get up there once in a Blue Moon)! So what else was special? Tonight there is a Lost Moon (thanks, Jim for reminding me). Not only was I up at the cabin this weekend, I was there with my family and that made it very special. I had a really bad day today - super crash and not good. But, I feel good inside, knowing that my father would be proud of the legacy I have created for my daughters. He was fiercely dedicated to his family and visited his siblings regularly. He came late to expressing his dedication to his daughters and his son. But he did. I know he loved us and was proud of us, too. Things never replace people, but that cabin is a constant reminder of my father and I always think of him with a grateful heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment