Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Day 103 - Little Things Do Mean a Lot

We had a bit of an adventure last night - kind of a turning lemons into lemonade kind of thing. We're having our furnace replaced as well as our hot water heater so we didn't have heat or water last night - that's the lemon part. Instead of staying home and being pioneers, campers, explorers or any other name we use for roughing it - the hubby and I went to a hotel for the night. We packed our overnight bags, fed and watered the pets and off we went. It was fun!

It was neat to have an adventure I didn't have to plan for, figure out, or go through intricate gyrations to get organized. We just popped the stuff we needed into a bag, hopped in the car and drove a whole two miles to get to our destination. We were greeted with a glass of red wine, compliments of the house, and a room that was comfy and pretty. Instead of heading out for dinner, we ordered room service - yummy Caribbean food from the downstairs restaurant, watched a little boob tube and settled in for the night. I slept really well and woke up feeling happy and thankful for the comforts of a hot shower and a heated room! Little things mean a lot.

I love that I can enjoy the little things in life. It's easy to get into only celebrating the big things - holidays, promotions, sporting events, birthdays and that sort of thing. But it's sweet to notice when a little something happens that makes me smile or gives me pleasure. A family gathering, an afternoon on the porch, a home-cooked dinner that tastes really good, or a glimpse of nature that's out of the ordinary are all events that deserve my attention. I have plenty of lemons around to make me sour and unappreciative, but when I focus on the wonderful little things that fill my days, I am making lemonade.

No comments:

Post a Comment