Sunday, November 7, 2010

Day 87 - Dealing With Illness Is a Tough Thing to Swallow

Nearly two weeks ago I had to cut back on my meds and supplements. My esophagus was not happy with the number of pills I was sliding down my throat . Multiple times a day I was downing a handful and they were working - no side effects, and I was finally organized and in the swing of things. I knew which pill to take at which time of day. Ever since I was a little kid I've had nasty, painful esophageal spasms that would strike out of the blue. Twice they were so relentless and agonizing I wound up in the emergency room sipping lidocaine and popping muscle relaxers. Taking tens of pills each day aggravated that condition and  every meal and every dose of meds created severe pain. My lady doc said to cut back to only the most essential prescriptions, switch to a soft diet, avoid hot or cold liquids and give my esophagus a chance to rest.

It was a good plan. The spasms are much reduced and I have a feeling I'm on the mend. But there is some good news and some bad news. The good news is that my swallowing is much more comfortable. The bad news is that since I'm off most of my meds, my body pain is back with a vengeance. Today was day five waking up with a migraine, my neck aches and my legs feel like I just ran the New York marathon. My skin feels like I have a bad sunburn and my shoulders are in a vice. Today I gave up on trying to heal my esophagus and I went back on the meds that treat my pain. I'd rather have a spasm or two than have my body feel like I've gone a couple of rounds with Mike Tyson.

Side effects are a huge consideration in a choice of meds and supplements. I am thrilled that I have had zero side effects with the way my Lady Doc is handling my meds and the dosages. The only thing I could come close to calling a side effect has nothing to do with my meds - it has to do with the mechanics of swallowing multiple pills at multiple times during the day. It's a life-long problem that just won't seem to go away. An endoscopy last year didn't give me any answers. Maybe it's just one more way fibro visits my body. So here I am with a not so good choice. Do I choose the ability to swallow without pain or my over-all well-being? Well, for today, I chose a break from the pain in my body and I'm glad I did. My neck is feeling a bit better, my legs aren't quite so sore, I don't have a headache and my skin has lost that sun-burned feeling. I ate dinner at a restaurant tonight and I didn't have a single spasm as I swallowed the yummy Italian chicken dish I ordered.

Maybe this isn't going to be a forced choice between one strategy and another. Maybe I can ease my way back into my program and have the best of both worlds. I have to accept that the path toward wellness may have one step forward and two steps back and dealing with fibro may be a tough thing to "swallow". But that's okay. I have a great doc on my team and I have a good head on my shoulders. Tomorrow is another day and I will make the choice that I believe will best promote my overall wellness.

1 comment: