Sunday, November 14, 2010

Day 94 - No Voice, But With Plenty to Say

Yesterday started with me sounding like Greta Garbo, all gravelly and alto. Today I have no voice at all, just a whisper or a squeak is all I can get out. Every few years I seem to have a bout of this and it always creeps up the same way. I don't see it coming, but if I look back at the few days before, I might have been a little less energized or had a crash day that didn't come from doing something out of the ordinary. My voice is typically low-pitched and it can have a rough quality to it, but I don't usually get struck silent! So when I woke up yesterday with a bit of a frog in my throat I didn't expect to lose the whole thing. I went about my day acting as if it was all fine - then wham! Gone!

So here I am with a quiet little voice and being this way is quite a challenge for me! I love to talk, chat, debate, commiserate, discuss, share, blab and babble. It's all good in my world! It makes me happy to be in an exchange with someone I love or even someone I've just met. Even though I love to chat, I am equally comfortable being quiet. I don't mind being in the house alone. I don't need a radio or TV in the background to keep me comfortable. When I am silenced this way, I enjoy the opportunity to settle in with the quiet and enjoy it. I won't make any phone calls today and any calls that come in will just have to wait. I can get back to folks in a text or email and if I really do want, or need to talk. I can do an electronic conversation if I have to, but I think I am just going to enjoy the time off from all of the input and conversations.

This morning when my hubby started to talk to me, he used a whisper. It almost seemed that since I was quiet, he had to match the level of sound. It struck me as kind of funny, but I get it. It brought everything down, and slow and even more quiet. But I'm not sick or tired today - just quiet - so I'm okay with his energy being high. That got me to thinking about how we "catch" energy. If I am in a frenetic environment, even if I'm not consciously matching it, my body is probably responding to it. If I am in a calm place, it's probably the same. One thing I know I can do is to put myself in a place that matches the energy I want to experience. I do that in the morning - I always have upbeat and happy music playing. When I get home from work, all tired and worn out, I need some quiet time before I'm even ready to turn anything on. Today I am going to lay low, even though my energy feels high amd give my voice what it needs to heal.

Another thing I think about when I lose my voice is where in my life I feel like I have no voice. As I reflect upon that question, I am pretty sure I know where that came from this time. I'm going to keep that little piece to myself for now, but be assured that I will be processing that experience as I lay out in the sunroom, soaking up some rays and resting this voice of mine. Just because I don't have a voice, it doesn't mean I have nothing to say. So for today, I'm quiet. But tomorrow I'm back in the mix!

No comments:

Post a Comment