Saturday, November 27, 2010

Day 107 - My Many Faces of Fibro

Today was a busy one. All the usual hustle and bustle of a holiday weekend with family. I was thinking about how the day has unfolded and all the ups and downs I've felt and the many faces of me.

Wake up time - oh, don't look at this face. Looks like I haven't slept a wink, my skin is gray and puffy, my eyelids are droopy and I look like and feel like a total grump.

Head to the kitchen to whip up a little breakfast and take care of everybody's meds. Still looking droopy - but starting to open my eyes a bit to see what I'm doing. I don't want to scare my daughter with my grump face so I paste on a half-smile and say a few cheery (but not convincing) words to get things off on the right track.

Time to get dressed - no energy for doing the whole shower, hair, make-up thing so I slap on some sunscreen and a glop of make-up, smear it around and call it finished. I have to be out in public and I do have my pride, but this face will definitely not win any beauty contests!

A couple of hours in the car, taking my daughter back to her group home and I just want peace and quiet. What I get instead is a steady stream of questions and comments so I kind of stare straight ahead with my plain old, I'm tired face, and I try to act at least a bit cheery. I think I pulled it off.

Mid-afternoon and I'm catching my second wind. My hubby and I browse about in a very cool artsy, antique store, and I get excited and interested in what I'm seeing. What's that - a real smile? Yep. It just might be! We have an engaging conversation with a local artist and I feel like a regular, every-day person - fibro fades to the background. Sweet.

Into the car and onto a relaxed dinner with the hubby. I don't think my face looks any different than anyone else's in the restaurant and I feel satisfied that I have had a good day and I think my happy face shows it. I give the hubby an extra smile just to make sure.

It's dark outside, even though it's still early. I settle into my seat for the still long ride home and within just a few miles I am starting to melt into my sleepy face. My eyes start to burn and my lids get heavy and ready to fall, my head nods forward and then I drift off for a nap. Guess I wasn't very good company, but I think my peaceful face showed I needed the rest.

Now I'm facing my computer, reporting on my day and I think it's been a good one. Doesn't matter that fibro came along for the ride. Today it took a back seat. I'm smiling and ready to take on another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment