Monday, November 29, 2010

Day 109 - Life's Dance of Grief and Happiness

My daughter has a single dimple that earned her the title, Princess Hole in the Face. Maybe a strange name to some, but that was the special name her Grandpa called her. It always brought a smile, which brought out the dimple, that led to an affirmation that, 'Yes!", it was the perfect title! I always appreciated the way he made my girls feel because they felt loved and cherished when they were at Grandpa and Grandma's house. Both grandparents had their little rituals that the girls looked forward to - Grandpa's gentle teasing and silliness, the books and crayons and paper that was kept in the basement, the lovely meals shared around a calm and happy table, and the piece of cheese in the fridge with my daughter's name on it. And there was the love, ah yes, that wonderful and tender grandparent love.....
 
These sweet and loving people didn't have to be grandparents to my kids, they did it by choice. I have known these folks since I was just a little kid, and their daughter has been my life-long best friend. I asked for their emotional support when I was in college and they have been there for me ever since. Every person I have loved, they have welcomed into their open hearts, no questions asked. They are my definition of love, dedication and devotion. I want to be as good to every single person in my life as they have been to me. They helped to heal my soul and my life and they were there in a moment in time when things could have gone very differently.
 
It's strange how happy and sad can get all mixed together and it's hard to know which is which. But that's what's mixed up in me today. This is the season for my losing two Dads. Because just as my daughter's had a loving extra Grandpa, I had an extra Dad that showed me love and acceptance and was in my life for many decades. My own father passed away the night before Thanksgiving less than ten years ago and my second dad passed, years later, just after the holiday. Today is the anniversary of his passing. So as I celebrate Thanksgiving and gather into my mind and heart all that I have been blessed with, I am also profoundly touched by what I have lost. These two men were wonderful and well loved, and they are sorely missed. They lived down the street from each other lots of years ago, when I was just a little kid and I knew my best friend's father. Now they reside, side by side in my heart, where I feel their perfect, loving presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment