Monday, May 30, 2011

Day 290 - Keep it or Let it Go - I Don't Know

We spent a long weekend at our cabin in the mountains. It is nestled deep in the woods on a sweet little lake and it just couldn't be any prettier. When we first used to go up, we spent the weekend hiking or out on the water in our kayaks or canoes. We spent our time walking in the woods, or sitting on the dock, watching the ducks swim by, or the beaver flapping his tail at us as he swam to his den along the water line. We walked with the dog and it wasn't unusual to walk one place or another, all afternoon. Now I'm questioning whether the cabin is a good idea anymore. Our trip involves packing clothing suitable for the mountains, getting things for the dog together, getting the cat situated, making sure we have all the sheets and towels we need, some staples from the grocery store and then loading it all up in the car for the four hours it takes to bring us to our little slice of heaven.

Once we get to the cabin the car gets unpacked and we start to get things put away so we can settle in and enjoy our time. The dog loves to be in the woods so as soon as everything is out of the car, my hubby calls to him and they head down to the lake to make sure it's still there, then they wander around a bit just to check things out. I used to head down to the lake right way, too, but now I don't. I don't do a lot of the things I used to and I miss that. Just like at home, I am spending more time alone in the cabin while my hubby does his thing outside. Saturday I spent the day sick and sleeping. What a waste. I sat in the car for half the day Friday, cleaned the porch in the afternoon, went out to dinner and that was it for the day. Sunday was better - we started slow and then went out for lunch at a lovely cafe that makes yummy soups and sandwiches. We then visited with some shopkeepers who have become friends. I cooked dinner and we watched a movie. It was just enough of a day for me.

Monday meant straightening up the cabin before we left, making the bed, packing our suitcases and gathering up the re-cycling and garbage to take to the dump. I packed a lunch so we could eat on the way home and save some time not having to stand in line at the always too busy highway rest stops. The trip wasn't too bad coming home, even for a holiday - we made it in four and a half hours with just one stop. The weather was perfect, the travel uneventful, but I am starting to question if it's all worth the effort. For me, it's always about the amount of effort I have to expend to do what I enjoy. I have to wonder if it is worth the long drive and the day of recovery it takes to get to the mountains to relax. It isn't as much fun as it used to be and I feel terrible that I can't join my hubby in his activities. In addition, I feel like this is just one more way I am limiting his enjoyment of life because I don't have the energy to participate. I don't know what to do. I'm going to have to sit with this one a bit and see what unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment