Saturday, May 14, 2011

Day 275 - A Sweet and Simple Saturday

There's a saying that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. That kind of describes my day. There wasn't anything big or exciting that happened, but each little thing added up to a really nice day. I seem to be my happiest when I spend time with family. It doesn't matter what we're doing and usually the most casual times are the most fun. Today it was a run to a store with my daughter to return a single item, then some time at the book store with her family, followed by a wee-little power outage mixed in, and a simple and relaxed dinner. What more could I ask of an easy Saturday afternoon and evening?
 
I like to pay attention to the little things in life so I never take them for granted. After all, my life is really just a series of moments strung together - day by day, week by week, year by year. I create my life with each decision I make and every choice sets me in one direction or another. I can look back and appreciate that a single significant choice impacted my life in wonderful ways. I can also appreciate all the little decisions around it that don't have a huge, singular impact, but they are meaningful nonetheless. Kind of like a spice or seasoning that gives my life flavor. Big stuff or little stuff, it all counts and I want to be sure that I embrace every moment and make the most of it. I especially have to appreciate the days that I can get out and do some of the things I'd like to do.
 
The past week has been pretty quiet around here and it was nice today to feel well enough to get myself out of the house for a while. I am thankful for every single minute that I feel good. I love it when my head is clear and my body doesn't ache. It feels good to feel good and I want to appreciate every moment so that those moments multiply and increase and give me more health and wellness. Yesterday wasn't great, today was, and I have no idea what tomorrow will bring. That's okay. No one else knows what tomorrow will bring either. What I do know is that there wasn't any huge accomplishment today, no big party or dress-up event, but it was a very fine day. Each small thing combined with the next, created a very sweet Saturday and for that I am thankful.

2 comments:

  1. Those days when I can actually get out of this house and go somewhere to do most anything (except for Dr. visits) truly fill me with such joy! To walk into Lowes to pick out plantings, mentally kept me going for days on end! I paid for it physically for days after but just reflecting back to being out with my husband and pretending I'm normal for a couple of hours gave me the best memories and helped me overcome the pain. God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for you post, Kathy. Sounds like we both focus in what we appreciate. And you're right - even a simple outing can bring lots of joy. Take good care and be well.....

    ReplyDelete