Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Day 272 - Interests and Energy - Finding a Match

There isn't much going on for me these days. Life without work is certainly calmer and less stressful and I'm not complaining about having this time to heal and get better. But, I love my work and I miss the people I work with. It feels like this leave of absence is going to last forever and it's only my second week. My team has two days of meetings this week and I'm not there. I wonder what's happening and if there is something I could contribute that I won't get the chance to share. I am confident that my fellow teammates are fully capable of functioning successfully in my absence, I just don't like not being part of things. So, I have to continue to find ways to define this time at home so that I can benefit most from it.
 
So, early this afternoon I headed out to the bookstore. It's good that I get out because I have to get myself all cleaned up and I can't just hang around the house looking like something the cat dragged in, It is interesting - and fellow fibro sufferers will probably relate to this - once I get all cleaned up, do my hair and make-up and get myself dressed, I look pretty healthy. I am sure that no one in the bookstore would guess that I was out on sick leave. It made me feel a bit more energized to be doing something that was fun and manageable. I liked wandering among the shelves and pausing to pick up a book that struck me. I could spend hours that way. I made my selections then headed for the coffee shop to sit and sip while I started reading one of my books. I think I'm going to make this a weekly event - either sitting in a book store reading and relaxing or heading for my local library to do the same.
 
Taking care of myself is more than just taking the right meds and staying at home to rest. It also has to do with taking care of myself spiritually, emotionally and intellectually. Books feed me on many levels and I'm never lonely when I am deep into a book. I am looking forward to being able to sit outside and read or spend time out on my new porch once the pollen settles down a bit. I am looking to find ways to help restore my health and reducing my stress level is a big part of my plan. So I need to find activities and interests for my not-so-bad days that help me to relax, pass the time, and enjoy myself. When I am stuck on the couch it can't be a reading or hobby day because my vision is poor and the best I can do is to lie there staring endlessly at the television screen. Not working doesn't mean that I have nothing to do. The goal is to find ways to match my interests with my energy level.

No comments:

Post a Comment