Friday, May 6, 2011

Day 267 - Treatments and Trade-Offs

This afternoon I had a massage - my first in months. I have tried using massage therapy to increase wellness, because of the many documented benefits. But for me, the benefits are mixed with some negative reactions. During my massage I experience extreme pain even with a very light touch. Some area of my body are much more sensitive than others and I never know which part is going to hurt. Today it was my lower back, the connective tissue along my calf, my neck and the back of my heels. I can't help but jump when the therapist hits one of those hot spots. The therapist explained that based on the amount of pressure he used, and the amount of pain I was experiencing, I would be considered hyper-sensitive. (Really? No Kidding!) I was happy that he was informed and responsive to my particular needs. When my massage was finished I had some lunch and headed home. Within an hour of my massage I went from having a functioning day to being hit with a wave of exhaustion that lasted for hours. I couldn't get up, wake up, or do anything but doze and hope to sleep off my utter exhaustion.

I've exoereinced the many benefits of therapeutic massage for well over twenty years. I have learned that when used to deal with illness it works best when it is scheduled regularly and consistently. Current research on massage therapy provides an impressive list of its benefits. First of all, it is drug-free, non-invasive, and assists the body in healing itself. Massage increases blood circulation, which delivers increased oxygen and nutrients to tissues and organs. It creates relaxation, reduces cramping in muscles, increases joint flexibility, and releases natural pain killing endorphins. And finally, among other benefits, massage assists in reducing back pain and migraine headaches. It is clear to me that my body can benefit from massage and I had planned on using massage as one of the tools for healing during my time away from my job. But, as with other medical approaches, individuals with fibro have a heightened sensitivity that must be taken into consideration.

Lots of things in life have a trade-off and when I make my decisions I am usually aware that one choice may upset the balance of another. A medical trade-off might be taking an anti-biotic for an infection knowing that the trade-off is experiencing uncomfortable digestive side effects. In everyday life, it might be accepting the expense of ordering take out for dinner as a trade-off for the amount of time and energy it takes to put together a less expensive home-cooked meal. I have to weigh the pluses and minuses of each of my wellness choices and as simple it may seem, adding massage needs consideration. I have to weigh the trade-offs. Do I go through with a weekly plan for the therapeutic effects of regularly scheduled massage and put up with the trade-off of additional pain and fatigue on the way to a higher goal of overall wellness? Or, do I pass up the opportunity for my body to heal using a natural, non-toxic, proven method because it has a down-side? It always strikes me as ironic when I pay good money for a treatment, that at least in the short term, makes me feel worse. That's what trade-offs are about, giving up one thing to gain something better. I've got a decision to make.

2 comments:

  1. I'm very lucky to have found a wonderful massage therapist. She has been dealing with fibromyalgia patients for about ten years, and understands the implications of the condition. I think it is very important to find someone who understands how fibromyalgia affects everything in our bodies, and adjusts the pressure accordingly. Here in Iceland, massage therapists have different education, and this one studied in Canada. She is by far the best one I have found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting. I used the same therapist for over twenty years and she was fabulous. Now that she is retired I am in the process of finding someone who understands fibro and will follow through with what I need. My new person is learning so I think I'll stick with him for a while and see how it goes. Take good care...

    ReplyDelete