Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Day 285 - Retail Therapy Isn't Covered by Insurance. Drat.

Retail therapy works - it's a shame it's not covered by insurance. I've been working on acceptance and continuing to re-define my boundaries. I'm doing pretty well with my level of acceptance and living happily even while one part of my life isn't where I'd like it to be. That doesn't mean I won't have days that I fight it or mourn my losses, but overall I'm doing okay. Today was a beautiful sunny day. I felt pretty good for most of the day and then had a deep sleep in the afternoon that left me feeling groggy, grumpy and a little bit sad. So I hopped in the car and headed for my favorite craft store for a little retail therapy and to find something to motivate me.

Some people shop for shoes, handbags or clothes for their retail therapy. I love colors, textures, paper, fabric, beads, wood, markers, colored pencils and potential. I grabbed a cart when I got into the store and started my search. I wandered down the yarn aisle and thought about taking up knitting. I looked at cupcake art, stickers, jewelry making supplies, scrap-booking, collage, decoupage and t-shirt embellishments and the possibility of making hooked rugs, Everything looked so good and held so much potential it was hard to choose what I wanted to buy. It was relaxing to just wander and take in all the pretty things that lined the shelves. When I liked something I dropped in into my cart and kept walking. After a few minutes, if I still wasn't in love with what I chose, or if I changed my mind, I wandered back to where I found it and put it back on the shelf. Sometimes I just needed to be with something for a few minutes and that was sufficient.

I was in the store for under an hour, and that was enough for what I needed. I wanted to get out and around people. I wanted to lift my mood and I wanted to find something that would motivate me to start another project. Every single thing I purchased was from the sale rack and I do love a sale. The one big item I purchased was forty per-cent off because I had a coupon. Sweet! So I left the store with two small bags of really good stuff that will help me to pass the time for a few afternoons. I don't like to trade one problem for another. My definition of retail therapy has some guidelines, so I make sure that what I buy is within my budget so I don't have to suffer from buyers remorse. I left the store and then stopped off for an iced decaf coffee (I had a coupon for a free cup!) and sipped it on my way home. I know this was a good outing because by the time I pulled into the driveway I was back to my old self again and I am sure I got plenty of value for the dollars I spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment