Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 280 - Inspiration, Strength and Hope - An Unbeatable Trio

Today I was inspired by a group of kids my hubby came home and told me about. They were at his school to use their rock climbing wall. He said they were excited and did quite well. What's so neat about this is that all of the kids had significant physical difficulties from Cerebral Palsy to Muscular Dystrophy to Spina Bifida as well as other less well-known conditions. Those kids took on a challenge and pushed the limits of what they thought they could do and they succeeded. It is inspiring for me to hear about those kids. I feel the same way when my daughter wins a medal in the Special Olympics or a ribbon for her bowling team. One time my daughter came home from her program and announced that she was going to be in the holiday play. She has difficulty speaking and with her memory, so I was wondering what she would be doing. When I asked her what part she was playing, she proudly announced. "AUDIENCE!" It was a perfect match for her skill set and she was really happy to be part of her community and cheering on her peers. Someone else may have felt slighted by not being on the stage, but not my girl. She does the best she can with what she has to work with.

It is important to recognize our limitations and then not give in to them. Whether it's those kids taking on the wall, me fighting fibro and fatigue or my daughter cheering from the front row for her friends, we all have to acknowledge our strengths as well as the things that might limit us. We have to figure out what is possible and then maybe push the envelope a bit further.  That's how we learn and grow and get stronger - we take on a challenge. Like the time my hubby and I went para-sailing. Neither of us is a fan of heights and I only go under water if I'm holding my nose, But there we were tethered to a boat in the bay, soaring above the water. It was exciting and an adrenaline rush. We were nervous and scared, but we managed the risk by doing it together. We signed on with a reputable tour, wore our safety gear, followed directions and had a great time. So when I am in challenge mode, I can look at that example and see that each small effort builds onto the success of the last and before long there is a momentum for forward movement that leads to success.

I may not succeed every time I take on a challenge, but I don't fail every time either, and that encourages and even inspires me. Inspiration gives me strength and hope. The strength comes from acknowledging that when I push past my limitations I can see that I am more capable than I give myself credit for.  Whether I am fighting an illness, or something else that has brought me to my knees, I have to face that challenge and then move forward, one step at a time to deal with it. The hope comes from seeing that when I am determined and confident, good things happen. I see that in other people's experiences and I see that in my own. There is much to be hopeful about. I do not have to climb a rock wall to prove that I am a fighter, I have my own obstacles to overcome. I approach each obstacle with as much courage as I can muster and trust that what's best for me will unfold it its own time.

No comments:

Post a Comment