Monday, May 23, 2011

Day 283 - Your Energy or Mine - I'll Take It

When I am with other people I can't help but feel more energized. It works for me in a bunch of ways and against me in some others. If I need to get something done, I work best with a partner or on a team. Whether it's chores around the house, errands to run, a project at work or anything that involves numbers, two heads are better than one. When it comes to taking on something that demands my energy I need someone else to take the lead. I have learned to borrow energy and it works for me. If I am taking a walk, having the dog with me keeps me at a brisk pace. When I have to clean up around the house, many hands make light work. When I was at the office I was better at staying on task and thinking things through when I worked with my trusted teammates. Working with someone else gives me momentum, increases my motivation and creates an atmosphere filled with energy and forward movement. When I haven't got energy - there is plenty around me to share.

On the other hand, I am most likely to overdo it when I am with other people. I get caught up in the moment and stop paying attention to the signals my body sends that tell me it's time to pull back. Instead of slowing down, or bowing out, I plow through, full steam ahead and then suddenly run out of steam. It can be embarrassing in some situations, and in some instances it has been unsafe. I have found myself stranded with no energy to get home and that is not a good place to be! When I am in an energetic atmosphere I am more likely to promise more than I can deliver, and find myself unable to follow through on a commitment. That can lead to disappointment and frustration on both sides if I can't fulfill a promise. Another downside to working alongside someone with more stamina than I have is that I may make it through the particular activity but then find myself wiped out the next day because I overdid it.

I love to get caught up in the moment, whether it's something as mundane as working around the house, as exciting as a family celebration, or as engaging as a work project with colleagues. I feel happy and productive and ready to take on whatever is in front of me. I ride my enthusiasm and the excitement that comes with being fully engaged in something that has meaning for me and that I can share with others. Even just being out around town I can feel the energy of the people around me, and I get energized, too. When I am alone and not feeling well, it is difficult to feel motivated and even harder to get things accomplished. When I have someone by my side I seem to be able to think more clearly, stay better focused and follow through on what I know needs to be accomplished. There are definite benefits to sharing energy and using that to get things done. I need to stay aware that it is someone else's energy that I am riding and not my own, and continue to learn about, and focus on, the signals my body sends to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment