Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Day 68 - Turning My Upside Down Life Rightside Up!

The word fibromyalgia entered my vocabulary nine years ago. Up until then, it was one of those multi-syllabic words that I couldn't quite get my head around. Back then there was no facebook or social networking sites that could put me in touch with fellow sufferers. I felt alone and confused and not quite sure what this would all mean to me and to the life I was living. So much has changed over these nine years.I'm sure I have had fibro since I was a teenager, and it probably started when I was in college. I was in the hospital twice in the second semester of my freshman year and throughout college I suffered from terrible headaches, IBS, and seemed to get sick more easily than my friends. Throughout my young adult years I had the same issues as well as fatigue, lots of wandering pains, and was diagnosed with Mixed Connective Tissue Disease when I was just thirty years old. But I clearly remember the day that fibro entered my adult life to stay and it has been with me ever since, every day.

I was teaching a class of adults one early winter night. I was about half-way through my presentation when my brain kind of checked out on me. I felt exhausted and I got confused. I couldn't remember what we had accomplished so far, and where I was supposed to be heading. I had the class work in small groups while I tried to gather my thoughts. It was a very frightening moment. I got myself together enough to finish the class. I got into my car to leave and proceeded to slam my car into a pole in the parking garage. Now I really was freaked out. I just couldn't get a grip on things and I had no idea what was happening. I was having a fibro crash and didn't know it. I got myself home and crawled into bed. I can't tell you what happened next, because I really have no idea.

At some point over the next month or so my eye doctor suggested that I might have fibro because of the symptoms I was having in addition to the double vision and dry eyes she was treating. Since that time I have had many good days mixed in with some long and terrible flare-ups. I am remembering this story today because It's getting cold and those first few nights with a chill remind me of that winter night when my life turned upside down. I am taking steps to right myself and I sure hope this winter is kind to me. This next year I'd like to celebrate the anniversary of my fibro diagnosis with a true-life story of recovery and wellness. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh yes. We will plan a BIG celebration. With a trip. Someone fab. With cocktails. And fun game. And REALLY delish food. Yup. A celebration it will be! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete