Sunday, October 10, 2010

Day 59 - Lessons Learned from a Stinky Situation

One lovely, warm, and just about perfect summer night, my hubby and I went for a walk in town and stopped at a local restaurant for coffee and dessert. They had a large patio set aside for outside dining and since the night was so wonderful - we decided to take full advantage. It was lovely. We sat there enjoying each other’s company and some good conversation when hubby whispered, “Stop. Do not move!” I froze and looked straight ahead at him, waiting for a bit more information. He repeated his command and added, “Look next to your chair.” I did - and saw a skunk about to walk under the table right next to me! In that one moment I was both exhilarated and petrified. Then I felt him brush past my leg. Whoa. Then he just hopped up on a low wall next to the table and meandered on by. He seemed to be in no hurry or even aware that he had caused an immediate rise in my blood pressure. I’ve been near skunks before, but that was a close encounter of the scary kind!

What an experience! And so out of the ordinary. That kind of a happening usually leads me into wondering about its meaning, as in why the heck did THAT happen? What I take from it may or not be true, or have any real meaning at all, but it does get me thinking. So, when I start that process of figuring it out I just let myself get quiet and allow the thoughts to wander in - kind of like the same way that big ole skunk did - nice and slow and easy. And the thoughts come.….Just because something bad could have happened - it didn’t - so let it go…..Sometimes not saying a thing is the best way to avoid a stinky situation……Just because something bad could happen, it doesn’t mean it will. I don’t need to borrow trouble…….Nothing bad happened, so don’t act like something did! And finally, at least for now, Wasn’t it just great to be so close to such an amazing creature and be safe? Ummm, let me work on that one.

The everyday things that happen to me are mine to interpret. I can explore those moments that seem to carry a message or I can let them pass by. Not every little thing has meaning but not every little thing doesn’t. It’s all about what I’m needing to learn, explore or practice. It’s also about where I want to direct my energy. It just so happens that when that skunk did his little visit, I was smack in the middle of a “stinky” situation. It was one where I said what I had to say and I was waiting for the results. There was nothing more for me to do. As I look back, I can clearly see that the situation passed, and with no harm to me, just like that stinky little critter on the patio. Lesson learned?

1 comment:

  1. I, too, have learned that letting things unfold naturally has a much more positive outcome than my fretting or reacting. Love this post! Love you!

    ReplyDelete