Sunday, October 31, 2010

Day 80 - Getting Smarter - Stop Pushing!

It's been a busy housekeeping day. I would much rather be doing something fun, but duty calls. There are a few things that I have put off for a bit too long and I have a busy week coming up, so it's time to get down to business. These weekends when I'm out of commission really get me off track. It starts to feel like I'll never catch up and then more stuff gets piled on, regardless of whether or not I'm ready for it. I'm not even talking about big stuff, just the every day little chores that can so easily get put on the back burner. Yesterday was pretty much a waste, but this morning I woke up with a bit of pep in my step so I am tackling the little stuff that needs my attention.

I'm getting smarter about not worrying about things not being done. When I can get to them, I think about it and when I can't, I try to put that list out of my mind. If I kept a running list in my head of everything I needed to do, I think my brain would explode. I write things down and I have my weekly 'to do' list, but that's no guarantee that I'll even get to what I've written. I'm getting better at setting priorities and if someone who stops by doesn't like my pile of mail on the counter, they will have to adjust. I do what I can do and I am even pretty good at asking for help if I really need it. I don't want to burden anyone else, though, with stuff that can wait. Today my hubby lugged stuff for me and that was a huge help. He can't really help me beyond that, but that's okay. Every little bit counts.

I'm not sure I'll get my chores finished today. I'm already feeling tired and achy from working for just a couple of hours. I'm sitting here writing while I'm taking a break from the physical side of things and shifting to a less strenuous kind of effort. Works for me. I am paying better attention to the signals my body sends and stopping when my body tells me to, instead of pushing past the point of no return. I'd like to finish up a couple of things this afternoon and then take a cup of tea out on the back porch and enjoy the sunshine. Maybe after I take that break I'll be ready to tackle something more. If I do, terrific, if I don't I will keep it on my list and get to it another time. Putting pressure on myself only adds to my stress and that certainly leads to another bad day. I'll be kind to myself this afternoon 'cause heaven knows I don't need another bad day!

No comments:

Post a Comment