Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Day 62 - Competition. Good for Me? Or, another Affliction?

At a recent work retreat a few of us got together to play cards. It was a blast! We laughed, teased, won hands, lost them and overall had a super evening together. We weren't ready to give up our game, so instead of playing to 500 points, we play to a thousand. Fun stuff! The next night a different group did it all again and then another evening, again. It was a friendly competition and there were a couple of beginners, but that didn't matter a bit. The idea was to be together, share the luck of the draw and maybe win some points. I used to play cards a lot, but it isn't something that my family gravitates toward, so it was a real treat. The other nice part about it is that we were relaxed and no one got all freaked out because they didn't win. Killer competition isn't much fun for me, but I'm also not playing to lose. Healthy competition may be a tough balance to strike.

Sitting down for a couple of hours and watching a great show on TV also used to be a nice way to relax or unwind after a long day. Now, it seems that everything you can imagine has turned into a contest. Want to eat healthy and lose a few pounds? You have to do it faster and better than the next person, or you're a loser? Would you like to learn to dance? Okay then, let's do it in public and have your every beginners mistake broadcast to an entire nation and then, for good measure, let's humiliate you by placing your score in the bottom three, and then kick you out. Or, do you like to cook? Well, you can't possibly be excellent in the kitchen unless you can do it under extreme time pressure with some maniac screaming at you while you are trying to sear the perfect scallop? Want to prove you're smart (or dumb)? Put yourself up against a few obscure facts that you supposedly learned for half a minute in grade school then announce that no matter what you have achieved as an adult - you aren't even as smart as  a ten year old. Please.

I love a good contest as much as the next guy, but I choose when I want to compete, the challenge I'll take on and the competitor I'll face. I like a pretty even match where either one of us can win if we put our best into it, although I've been known to be embroiled in a pretty competitive game of Candy Land with a three-year-old. That's intense. I do watch some competitive shows, but the constant judgement is starting to get to me. I'd rather just watch the stories unfold as people take on their chosen challenge - but I suppose that might not capture the drama the audience is seeking. But my question remains - does everything have to turn into a competition? If I'm not good at something, have I earned the label 'loser'? If I don't learn quickly do I deserve not to be in the game? My pace is a little slower these days and I might not be the fiercest competitor, or even the competitor I used to be, but I have chosen my battle and I intend to win in. My game lasts for another 303 days and the game is on!

No comments:

Post a Comment