Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Day 75 - A Space to Call My Own

When I moved from the house I had lived in for nearly a quarter of a century, I knew there were things I would miss. The back porch, the family gatherings that spilled into many rooms, my little pond that was part of a garden I built when I was going through a divorce, and most of all, my own room. Just like a child loves a tree house, or even a "fort" built with sheets under the dining room table, there is something really special about feeling tucked in and cocooned in a spot to call your own. For a couple of decades I had a home office that I kind of used as my quiet space. It was filled with my work stuff and a ton of books, but it was also a place where I could be alone and be surrounded by things that were important, just to me. It was mine. Having a room to call my own was something I just couldn't give up when we downsized. When it was time to move, my hubby and I agreed that in searching for our new home, each of us would have a place to call our own. We both wanted a space that reflected our individuality and would be a place for retreat. We found a home with a very long upstairs room that we could easily divide in half and give each of us our own space, and it works!
 
I spend a lot of time in my room because it's the kind of place that returns me to who I am, no matter what influences might be shaking the core of me. It took me a long time to figure this room out after we moved in. I'd had an office before, but I wanted this space to  be different. And it is. As I look around, the objects that surround me remind me about what's important in my life. They also mark my past and remind me of lessons I've learned or ones I'm still working on. I have a space for doing my projects and a couple of ceiling-high bookcases, filled with books I've read and ones I plan to get to. I have a comfy chair where I can sit and read or watch a little TV with my feet up, and with a cup of tea. I have little treasures all around my room that remind me of times and places I never want to forget. My room isn't fancy, or perfectly decorated or filled with expensive furniture. It's filled with things that appeal to me, that please my senses and make me feel comfortable.
 
I need this space because it, at the same time, soothes and re-energizes me and puts me right. I can lose myself in a project and work in silence for hours, or I can turn up the volume and get energized by listening to something that gets my blood moving. I can be on my computer or on the phone. I can sit and ponder or I can write. Or I can just sit in my chair. Period. Sure, I can get some work done in my space if I need to, or pay the bills, or call the plumber to fix that pesky leak, but the primary purpose is that I have a space to call my own. It's my spot to be in as I choose. As I continue to search for ways to re-energize and find my balance and strength, a room of my own is just one more strategy I'm focusing on using to help me to be relaxed, strong and focused. 

2 comments:

  1. So many times we forget that we too need our time and space...good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete