Thursday, August 26, 2010

Day 15 - It's Complicated, Or Not

"It's Complicated." I love that movie title because it really does sum up most situations. We are a culture that seems to look for one sentence answers and tiny media bytes to describe amazingly complex people and events. I think I do better when I embrace the complexities of life without making things too complicated. In life, answers don't always come easily and solutions to problems typically happen over time, rather than in an instant. We don't have the luxury of dealing with just one issue at a time. All kinds of things are swirling around us at the same time, each demanding some level of attention.

So, how do we manage to build relationships, see progress at work, contribute as citizens, stay healthy and grow into the best version of ourselves? That's a big question and certainly one that doesn't have a single, simple answer. But therein lies a possibility. Sometimes it's best to just sit with the question and not force an answer. Letting something percolate is a wonderful and effortless way to come up with a response. It's a way to honor the complexity without making a big deal out of it. It's especially true for those of us looking for ways to conserve energy. Sometimes when I let something go, just for a while, something will pop into my head that leads me to a solution or the beginning of an answer to my question.

Being well and staying well is a complex process and for sure there isn't just one strategy for feeling my best. If I want to cut through the complexity in a healthful way and make a decision in a moment, I can reduce my choices to a yes or no response with a simple question. Does this choice promote my health and well-being? If the answer is yes, I go full steam ahead. If it's a no, well then, it's complicated.

1 comment: