Thursday, August 19, 2010

Day 8 - Laughter is the Best Medicine

One week ago today was my very first visit to my new Lady Doc and I have followed her instructions to a "T". She gave me a bunch of new supplements to add to the medicines I already take, but there's one med she can't prescribe - it's one I have to find on my own. Laughter. Yes, laughter may very well be the best medicine. Vitamin B doesn't make me see the funny side of life. Ribose and malic acid can't help me to lighten up. Pain meds don't tickle my funny bone and last I knew, vitamin D doesn't give me the giggles. When I'm laughing, I am fully in the moment and I feel lighter, happier and more alive.

I had a great day at work today. I left the house feeling terrible and throughout the day I was fighting fatigue and mental tiredness. My team is comprised of individuals who could make drying paint seem funny. Their way of looking at things keeps me alert and engaged and I never know when something will be said that will send us off into gales of laughter. At one meeting we were all laughing so hard we just put our heads down on the table because we couldn't even breathe. Every time we looked at each other the laughter just started all over again. Together, we delight in the smallest of things and we share a sense of happiness and contentment that renews us, encourages us and bonds us together. We have long standing jokes, things we tease about, funny memories and a shared perspective on life that keeps us from sweating too much of the small stuff.

This fibro battle is no joke. It's nothing to laugh about and it takes a terrible toll on the lives of folks who deal with it every day. But what I know, deep in my soul, is that when I laugh with others I am connected, I am in the moment and I am enjoying life. Friends and loved ones who laugh with me are part of my healing and they are partners on my path to wellness. A good giggle is a dose of medicine with only positive side effects. A good laugh makes my my eyes sparkle and my skin take on a healthful glow. This year I want to surround myself with that kind of medicine. My Lady Doc can take care of the rest.

3 comments:

  1. I remember times when we laughed so hard we cried... getting kicked out of the hat department in a Montgomery mall was hilarious... as many other moments we have shared since childhood. I love your sense of humor... when we see each other in January, let's laugh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a great point. Decades ago I remember Reader's Digest had a section "Laughter is the Best Medicine" and at the time it didn't mean much to me,but it does now. Are they still publishing Reader's Digest?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said. Fibro is a battle. I try to laugh everyday. The DO still publish Reader's Digest, I had to stop reading it in bed, I laugh so loud I wake up my husband.

    ReplyDelete