Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day 7 - Gratitude, Appreciation and Thankfulness


A few years ago I kept a gratitude journal - I think I was inspired by an Oprah show. I loved looking for those moments in my day that made me grateful to be alive and well-loved. It wasn't hard to create a list. I have so much to be thankful for. You wouldn't think that something like a chronic condition that's a real pain in the butt could be a blessing and I'm not going to pretend that I think it is. But there have been moments on this journey that deeply touch my heart and for that I am very grateful, appreciative and thankful.

Sometimes I like to do "big picture " thinking. One way to look at this fibro thing is that because I am not feeling well, it gives someone else an opportunity to be caring and supportive. When I feel needy it gives someone else the chance to be needed. I am a fiercely independent woman and DO NOT like to ask for help. Well, living with fibro tests that independence and I must reach out to others so that I can be more healthyl. At work, at home, or even when I'm out and about, people always seem so willing to help. As long as I am not taking advantage or asking too much, it creates an opportunity for them to feel important and essential. And I'm not always the taker. I am sensitive to those that ask for my help or support and I give that willingly, happy for the chance to feel vital and necessary.

It is important to say thank you, to show my appreciation and let any person helping me know that it was not taken for granted. So, the big and little things like my hubby bringing home the kind of juice I like, or my daughter checking in on me, are sources of gratitude. I am appreciative of a phone call from my sister or a friend to just catch up, or the folks at work taking on challenges that I used to manage myself. I am so grateful that there is a grocery store near me that DELIVERS! and the driver carries my stuff right to the kitchen. Believe me - that deserves to be written on my gratitude list. I can be thankful for it all, and in those moments of gratitude forget the fibro pain and tiredness and just be deliriously happy to be alive.

3 comments:

  1. I am grateful that you are my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your insight. At this stage of your life, after you've done so much and learned so much, it's a the time to share that exeperience and knowledge. Your body is telling you to let go and let others do for you and in so doing learn from you and with you. It may seem like standing still but it's really moving ahead.

    ReplyDelete