Friday, August 27, 2010

Day 16 - Lost Days

The greatest benefit of wellness is the ability to enjoy life - and there is so much to enjoy! If I'm having a good day, everything I experience holds the potential to be rewarding and satisfying. Something as simple as doing the laundry makes me feel productive. A trip to the grocery store is a time to anticipate a good meal with friends or loved ones. Work becomes exciting and I am filled with a sense of purpose and accomplishment. Watering the garden is an opportunity to be outside and to nurture nature. Time with loved ones is fun and filled with energy and pleasure. When I feel healthy and strong, life is good!

On bad days it really is the complete opposite. Every task seems overwhelming and impossible to accomplish. I look at what needs to be done and I feel a mix of frustration, guilt and despair. The simplest of tasks is as impossible as the greatest. I can't get myself going and I find myself starting and stopping lots of different things looking for the one task that I can manage. It's so easy to be totally discouraged on those days because I can barely move off the couch. I call those days my "lost days". I feel like I might as well just strike the day from the calendar because nothing of any substance has happened.

I want to eliminate those kinds of days from my life. I don't mind having a bad day every now and then where not much gets done - we all have those. I want the level of wellness that assures me that if I have things on my "to do" list I can choose to do them or not. But it won't be bad health that decides it for me. I want to work hard and play hard - not hardly work and rarely play. I want the ability to enjoy life back again! I know that's a tall order - but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment