Saturday, August 14, 2010

Day 3 - Sleep, Sleep, Sleep

I remember being a little kid trying to fall asleep on a summer night. The frogs, crickets and cicadas were the backdrop as I tried to let go of my day and drift off. I loved the feeling of the warm air in the room and the summer breeze that came in through the windows carrying all those yummy summer smells. Some nights it was so hot I couldn't get comfortable and the pillow felt like a mini furnace wrapped around my head. But later in the night I'd wake up and I'd be freezing and I'd search for the blankets that were tangled around my feet. Back then I always fell right back to sleep and I slept soundly through the night. No so these days!

Sleep is something I think about - a lot - when I'm at work, watching TV, in the car, when I get up in the morning and lots of other times during the day. Some days my eyelids are heavy and all I can think about is closing them for just a little while. Why is it then that when it's time to go to sleep - I can't!?! It just drives me nuts. Some nights it's well after two before my eyes will stay closed. Then comes the morning - seriously? Who invented morning? It should definitely be postponed until later in the day. My sleep doc said no sleeping during the day and that is just torture. I must admit to giving in every now and then just because it feels so painful to stay awake.

This year I want to see this all change. My goal is to wrap myself around this sleep thing and find some sense of balance. I'm going to use every strategy I can to get the sleep results I desperately need and want. Pretty soon when I say "good night", I'll mean it!

3 comments:

  1. NO giving in to day-sleep! Call me, make a necklace, play some Sudoku .. whatever you have to do. You can do it, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I can - expecially with your support and the support of the rest of the family and my friends. Wait 'til you read day 365!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I had to face a challenging goal, I had to remember that making progress towards that goal was an important step in reaching that goal. For me, it's always been related to nutrition and exercise. I had to learn to be gentle with myself and remember to celebrate the progress. I was vulnerable to beating myself up if I did not achieve 100% every day. That was a trap. So, my question is this: how much are you sleeping during the day, and how significant is the improvement from one day to the next, one week to the next. One month to the next. You have a goal. Yes, you can do this. GO FOR IT! Love you.

    ReplyDelete