Saturday, August 28, 2010

Day 17 - Little Things Mean a Lot

There are many simple pleasures that can add something special to my day. It's part of my self care to find those things and remember to use them when I want a little pick-me-up. When I want a treat - it's chocolate with nuts. Stressful day - a long hot bath. Feeling moody - give me some 60s music to pick me up. Lonely - a date with the hubby turns it around. Feeling house bound - a visit with my daughter and the grandbabies does the trick.

When I do little self care things as part of my day, it makes a difference. I like to have some of my favorite "go to" foods in the fridge. That helps me to make healthy choices in an instant. Every season I give away any clothes that I don't wear anymore so my closet is filled with REAL choices and I'm less likely to stand in front of the mirror with such a critical eye.  My car has a GPS so I'm not stressed out when I have to travel in an unfamiliar town. I have abbreviated my work schedule to minimize the days I call in sick. (OK, that's a big one, but it really does help)! I have sites saved on my computer that are just for fun and they give me something to do when I'm stuck on the couch.
 
When I take care of myself it lets my loved ones off the hook. It's not their responsibility to be in charge of my well-being. I have to do that for myself. I love that we are all on the same team - but the truth is that this is my journey. They understand as much as they can but I can't make them more responsible for my wellness than I am. So I make sure to do for myself whatever I can and respectfully and gratefully ask for help when I need it. If I take care of the little things I know they'll be there for me with the big ones.

1 comment: