Sunday, August 15, 2010

Day 4 - Double Trouble

I love to read and I've lost count of the number of books I've read. I used to have a few books going at one time - one for work, one for spiritual growth, and probably another just for fun and I've always devoured magazines. Reading has been a joy since I was a little girl when I loved the long version of Pinocchio and was proud of myself when I could finish it in a day. As I got older it was Nancy Drew and regular trips to the local library. A friend once said that I would probably read the labels on underwear and cereal boxes if nothing else was available. (Billboards are another quick read)!

I remember a billboard ad from back in the old days that said, "double your pleasure, double your fun". I trust they were not talking about vision! (I think it was gum) Anyway, one of the biggest challenges I face is having multiple episodes of double vision each day. I woke up this morning and when I finally got myself out of bed it was back again - just like it is many mornings. It's tough to feel awake, alert and ready to start the day when your eyes just won't focus. I wear prisms for close up but they don't always work and they don't work for distance. It's a real source of frustration. I don't read like I used to and that's a real quality of life issue for me.

I tell people fibro isn't a life threatening illness - it's a lifestyle threatening illness. Whether it's double vision, fatigue, aches and pains or a dozen other symptoms that come and go - our lives change because we are in this battle. Another goal this year is to see clearly - and that's on many levels. Clarity in thought and purpose are necessary to meet my goal. I intend to keep "watching" my progress this year to "see" how far it can take me. Along the way, my double trouble with be replaced with a singular focus on wellness.

No comments:

Post a Comment