Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 173 - A Divine Appointment and a Street Corner

This afternoon I drove to the airport to pick up a friend. On my way I had the opportunity to help someone out who was in need. It doesn't matter what I did, but it sure made him happy and as a result I felt happy, too. I was alone in my car but I could feel a big smile creep across my face and I felt lighter and as if I was meant to be in that spot in that particular moment in time. As I headed for the airport, my GPS had me making turns off the side of a bridge and directed me to exits and entrances on the highway that didn't exist. I was totally turned around and really had no idea where I was, except in that moment I was in the exact right place. I didn't need to be at that corner to get to the airport, but there I was, and it felt like a divine appointment.
 
As I look back in my life there have been countless times when something wonderful has come from a  wrong turn, a missed appointment, or an accidental meeting. It could even have been the timing of something that changed, but things turned out even better than they would have at an earlier point in time. I believe we all have those moments (some of them life-changing) when we run into someone who becomes an influence in our lives. We may not plan it - but it sure seems like it was planned on some level. It doesn't have to be a big deal - it can be as simple as having a conversation with a stranger who just happens to have a bit of information I've been seeking and then there they are. Or it can be as big as meeting the right person at the right time and it turning into a significant life event. What I love, is that I never know when it will happen.
 
I came across my Lady Doc in that kind of a way. I was looking at information about ridged fingernails, which led to a questionnaire, which led to a fibro center and then to a great relationship with a wonderful doctor. It's wonderful to receive that kind gift. But I like to feel like I can be the gift to someone else, that I can be the one that creates the divine appointment with my choices and actions and that I can live my life in a way that is open to both receiving and giving. Today felt special not because I got something but because I gave something. It was not required or expected. It was not my job to do it, but I had the feeling that it was my responsibility in that moment to be an instrument of healing. I felt blessed not because the man offered his blessings, in thanks, but because I have been given so much and it feels just wonderful to give back.

No comments:

Post a Comment