Friday, February 18, 2011

Day 190 - Pain, Pain, Go Away, Don't Come Back on Any Day

When I'm in the middle of a fibro flare I pay close attention to what I can do to turn things around and bring me back to balance. Pain has been an issue all week, It's been a dull ache that spreads from my legs up to my back and I can't get comfortable, no matter what position I'm in. I spoke with my Lady Doc about it this week and we have increased my pain med (a supplement with nine different ingredients), but it's not helping yet. In the past I have tried fibro pain meds like Savella and Lyrica and my body just didn't tolerate them well. Luckily, this kind of nagging pain isn't a frequent visitor - fatigue is a bigger issue for me. But I have to say that this pain has been a real distraction. It's very difficult to ignore and put aside.
 
I've moved into action and have done everything I know how to do, to help me feel better - hot baths, a heating pad, stretching, and additional pain meds. I am eager to put this flare behind me because it is hard to sleep and rest with the pain gnawing at me and I need my sleep! I tend to minimize the pain I experience with fibro because it isn't every minute of every day, and I figure every woman my age has some kind of pain to deal with. But when I think about it, I do experience frequent pain that just plops down into whatever part of my body it feels like attacking. But the pain this week has been different and I believe was triggered from the long drive back and forth to bring my daughter back home, as well as the constant effort of taking care of her over the weekend.
 
I have to be patient as I wait out this latest siege. Fatigue gets me down and I have to work on my mental attitude to stay positive and optimistic. I have to do the same with physical pain. I must make sure not to let it get the best of me and to acknowledge that it is wearing me down and then act on building myself back up. I am frustrated with my condition and sometimes I feel like I take two steps forward and three steps back. I do not want to give my pain power over me. I understand that there are fibro sufferers who deal with more pain that I experience. I feel deep compassion for them and very much appreciate my pain-free days. My mind is wrapped around the idea that I can manage my symptoms and that my body will calm itself and this pain will subside.   

No comments:

Post a Comment