Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Day 181 - Technology Helps to Keep Me Connected

Although I have been working the past few weeks, today was my first face-to-face day at work in a long time. I've been tele-commuting for the past few weeks. It was very comfortable to get back into the swing of things at our meeting today and get something accomplished while we're all in the same room. My team and I stay in pretty close touch. On some days we communicate multiple times, using multiple technologies, and we get a lot done. Each team member has other folks they are in touch with as well, and most of us don't see each other on a daily basis. Our team only meets once a month because of the logistics of where we each live, but the minute we see each other it's as if a moment hasn't passed. When we are in the swing of things, we are really connected and it doesn't take much to get a message across - in the same room, or not.
 
Did you ever notice how much can be said with a raised eyebrow, a sideways glance, a straight-on stare or the tilt of the head? It's amazing how much information we receive from one another through those subtle movements and how much we can lose when we're not in the same room as we communicate. It's not surprising that most email carriers provide a ton of "expression" icons. I don't know many people who really use them, but maybe it would be more helpful if we did. When I am using technology to communicate, it's helpful to pay closer attention to what I'm saying and how I'm saying it. I know that when I am reading an email or a text, it's possible for me to put my own slant on it through my tone of voice, or even which words I emphasize. Even on the phone when a message seems clear, every now and then, I have to take a step back and make sure I'm receiving what the other person intends to send.
 
In this age of technology, those of us who don't always have the energy to get out the door in the morning can still participate in our lives in meaningful ways through technology. I have done doctor appointments on the phone because getting to the office was impossible. I work with folks who live in different states and have best friends who I only see a few times a year. We stay connected through technology. It's true, that there may be something missing - I might read a short message as being abrupt and have my feeling ruffled or I might not get a joke because I don't see that half grin on the face of the person sharing it. It might be a bit harder to "read" the person I'm communicating with. But in the scheme of things, those possibilities aren't a big deal. The bottom line is that we need to stay connected, in whatever way works, for each of us as individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment