Thursday, February 17, 2011

Day 189 - Truth or Fiction - Finding My Point of View

I have been blessed with the gift of curiosity. I love to learn about lots of things and I never tire of seeing the world though a child's eyes. Small things and large fascinate me. I can spend time gathering shells at the beach and remain fascinated by their beauty and imperfection. Or, I can read a novel set in another time and place and learn about the vastness of our world and its cultures. When I get on my computer I wander from one topic to another, satisfying my thirst for new and interesting tidbits of knowledge. I read just the other day that the QEII cruise ship travels six inches on a gallon of diesel fuel. Seriously? Who would have guessed. I love reading about health and wellness, religion and spirituality, science and politics.  I am a student of human nature and I never tire of the life stories of both common and uncommon folks.
 
As a seeker of knowledge, truth and understanding, it is easy to get pulled in multiple directions. There are multiple dimensions to our world and hugely different ways of explaining and dealing with our issues, beliefs, and realities. One man's truth is another's fiction. One person is adamant in their belief while another is equally adamant in an opposing view. We think truth is truth, but truth can be relative, and claims of truth oftentimes confusing. I mention this because I like to stay up to date on the research surrounding medical and wellness topics, especially in regard to fibro and fatigue. I'm thankful that I trust my Lady Doc because the information out there is downright confusing. The path to wellness is often boiled down to a single choice or behavior. One researcher says to drink whole milk because it is a perfect food. The next says eliminate dairy. One says substitute soy for red meat, the next says you need at least four ounces of high quality beef for optimal health. It's frustrating and confusing. 
 
So what's an information seeker to do? All I can come up with is that I do my best, with the information that makes the most sense to me. I am not radical in my approach to wellness, I choose to take a more measured response to the "truths" put before me. I try to put things in a context of my beliefs and test the truths I uncover, within that understanding. I have the gift of the internet and I can pose just about any question and get some kind of an answer. Even though the "answer" is provided, it doesn't make sense to blindly accept the information I uncover, as my truth. What I want to do is stay curious, and continue to make the most of the information and resources that are available to me. My goal is to make choices that support my health and wellness and to remain open to different points of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment