Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day 177 - Warm Air Therapy

Spending three weeks in Florida and getting away from the northeast winter was a brilliant idea. I just got back today. Each year my hubby and I attend a conference in January and I got the idea last year to stay on and then spend some time in the south where the winter months are a bit kinder. We did the conference then I stayed on for another two-plus weeks. The temperatures ranged from the mid-thirties at night to the mostly high-sixties in the afternoon. The last few days got into the low seventies and I was in heaven. Those mild temperatures are just what my body needs. Not too hot, not too cold - just perfectly right. My body didn't burn precious energy trying to stay warm and I could feel the difference.
 
Even though the weather was good, it didn't turn me into a picture of health. The first week was a series of migraines, mornings were still slow, I had double vision and some aches and pains. I also had a few rough days when I never got out of my jammies and I hung out on the couch. But overall, even though I wasn't one hundred per cent, it felt easier not to have to fight the cold, as well. My time was a mix of rest and productivity. Most mornings were slow and restful. I stayed in touch at work and some days work was quite busy. Other days I eased into an activity or two, typically mid-afternoon. I ate healthy (didn't even gain one single pound while I was away) and prepared simple meals at home. I had company - my hubby, my sister and then a friend. I also had a number of days alone and that was just fine with me. I was working on wellness from the inside out.
 
Even though I was away from home and someplace warmer I still kept pretty much to my one activity a day and that was helpful. If I stretched that out or tried to pile on too much in one day, I felt my energy begin to slip away, and that sick fibro-feeling came back. I am considering another trip south if this winter seems like it is going to hang on. Three weeks away was helpful, and I have a feeling another few weeks would be more so. But I say that knowing that there are plenty of people who already live in warmer climates and they are suffering with fibro, even being there. So here I am, back to winter, thankful for the respite. It did me good. I can't explain exactly how, but I knew it for sure the moment I walked out of the airport into the New Jersey winter air and I felt the cold just settle back into my bones.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment