Saturday, August 13, 2011

Day 363 - I Need My ZZZZs So I Nap Like a Toddler

A few days ago I had an interesting conversation about how crazy our work schedules are in the United States. Other countries seem to have a better sense of what we need to do to take care of ourselves and still be productive members of society. I remember traveling in Ireland and not being able to find any place open to eat in the late afternoon. Places closed until dinnertime. How civilized. And how about the idea of an afternoon siesta? Divine. Then there's the six week "holiday" in the summer when people get away from the daily grind and rejuvenate themselves. In my entire adult life I can only remember taking a two week vacation just two or three times. Once working became part of my life, it seemed that relaxing wasn't valued anymore. I know lots of folks who say they just can't sit down, they have to be "doing" something all the time. I also know people who think their business will fall apart if they stay away for a couple of weeks in a row. I also know people who would love to get away but the time and the money never seem to be there at the same time. Our culture doesn't support their slowing down.

As a working (and also a single mother) I felt like I didn't have a minute to myself. When my kids visited their father I traveled and taught on those weekends. During the week I was busy with the other responsibilities from my work as well as keeping up the house and taking care of my girls. There were two summers that I took them to the beach by myself and although we had a great time, it wasn't a total vacation for me. I don't regret those choices, but I do think that life demands a lot from us and unless we learn to take good care of our needs, we will suffer the consequences. Sleep and rest are as essential to our existence as air and water. Sleep deprivation wreaks havoc in our bodies and when we are exhausted everything becomes more difficult. When I am going through a difficult period in my life, sleep can become elusive and that makes managing stress even harder. The sleep issues that come along with fibro and chronic fatigue are debilitating. Getting a good night's sleep has become a high priority.

It is no surprise to me that the supplement I take for sleep is called Rest and Restore (from the Fibro and Fatigue Center online). A major path to good health is for me to have restorative sleep. I still have a bit of trouble falling asleep at the end of the day, but once asleep, I'm good for the next eight hours. I have learned that I must pay special attention to my sleep hygiene. I need a cushy pad on my mattress, a dark room, NO caffeine after noontime (including chocolate), a regular routine, and no snoring from the hubby. I must take my supplements (heavy duty sleep meds are just not for me) without fail. I also must build rest periods into my day. I jokingly say I nap like a toddler. Many mornings I need a nap after breakfast to jump start the day. In the afternoon I need to either rest on the couch or grab a quick thirty minutes of shut eye to get me through the evening. In addition to my naps I also need time to get away for a change of scenery and to leave all the stressful little details of life behind. A weekend in the mountains or some time at the beach always make me feel good from the inside out. Other cultures have showed me an alternative to the quick pace I am used to living. Fibro and chronic fatigue make those alternatives look very attractive.

No comments:

Post a Comment